Google
 

Monday, April 14, 2008

Connections

Two recent discoveries have me feeling particularly connected to the world beyond my little sphere. I met a gal, don't remember if we first chatted through Etsy or our blogs, they are sort of intertwined. But we have been exchanging stories about our respective disabled sons- my 24 year old with Friedreich's Ataxia(FA) and her 5 year old with Cerebral Palsy.

Then I discovered The Mom Blogs with a whole blogroll related to parenting special needs children. Wow, what a wealth of information, love, sharing, and downright understanding. My son's diagnosis came before the information super highway and finding medical information, not to mention community was nearly impossible. I haven't found one yet specifically about FA but if I don't they will find me.

9 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

My granddaughter has had two bouts of Ataxia..not the same as your sons. They are linking it to a virus, and she is getting better..she had it last winter and got a cold in Feb. and back it came, with a vengeance.
It was the most frightening experience we have had..especially since we never heard of it before.
Hope all goes well with your son..

Barbra said...

An advantage of technology is bringing people together and being exposed to more info. Hope your son improves.

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

My daughter is visually impaired. I'll have to check out the mom blogs....how do I find the special needs section? We didn't have a computer when our daughter was born...so I understand what you mean.

Thanks for the great post!

Susan
Pink Portuguese Roses
Very Pretty Things - Etsy shop

Gracie Bird said...

Susan,
Just go to The Mom Blogs, click on "find a blog", this will bring up categories- disabilities will be one of them.
Hugs,
C

UniqueNurseGranny said...

I hope you can find some support.I am not familiar with the condition.You have been dealing with it for a long time.you are a strong person.

Sheikasaurus Rex said...

It is amazing how much the internet brings the world closer! My younger brother is mentally disabled and has trouble making friends with mainstream children, but through his blog has found fellow disabled children who accept him.
I'm so glad you've also found support in fellow bloggers and am humbled by your strength and love.

Unknown said...

Hi there!

I just wanted you to know that I added a link from my blog to yours. I found you in a link exchange in the Etsy forums! :) Please do the same when you get a chance! & happy blogging!

Always,
Amy

The Nature Nut said...

I'm so glad that you have found support. Stay strong.

Trish said...

Hi, Gracie Bird and thanks for your comment on my post about autism resources. One "good" thing about having a younger child with a disability is definitely how much easier to connect with other moms who are in similar situations than it would have been a decade ago.