Google
 

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Balancing Act

Whoever said "build it and they will come" couldn't have been a crafter. I'm struggling lately to find a balance between actually creating and promoting my creations for sale. What a great tool the internet is and isn't it awesome to be able to share your work worldwide!

But remember when crafting meant creating then doing the craft show circuit? Now we create, photograph, edit, post and list, promote, promote and promote some more, package, ship, track, leave feedback, and hope we've earned a repeat customer!

So, let me know if you have found that elusive balance, for now I'll keep "building it", they will come, I'm sure. Sometime...

6 comments:

woolies said...

still searching for that elusive balance.....

Unknown said...

i was at a semi - busted craft show this weekend and i was at the end of the end and said that quote and everyone looked at me...like i was crazy but then i got a few sales so maybe i am not ;) i too am looking for the balance - i hope we find it

Unknown said...

Haven't found it, but keep plugging away! I know I have learned to make the most of online time so as to have more crafting/ family time.

capitolagirl said...

I really enjoyed your post, it provoked some thoughts about how online shopping is from offline shows. It's a different kind of "work" for listing products, but a lot of potential for a broader reach. Keep building it!

JLC Studio said...

I totally know what you mean...I'd say 80% of my time is spent promoting and blogging and 20% is spent actually making my pieces! It's kind of exhausting!

BrighidsForge said...

You said an ever-lovin' mouthful! The entire process of promoting overwhelms the process of creating, unless one can find the balance /looks some more Hope we find it - in the meantime, guess we'll stay balanced precariously and keep plugging :)