Google
 

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Craft Fairs

Have I mentioned my mixed feelings about doing craft fairs and boutiques? Today was my first in a long time and I did okay. Made back my table money and some for my pocket. Did I make enough to be worthwhile? Yes and no. I made enough to be worth the time I spent there- setting up, selling, packing up, etc. When I think about the prep time before the event- getting displays put together, pricing things, making signs, the actual inventory (although I'd be creating it anyway)- probably not worth what I made.

Will I be doing it again? Yep, no doubt, for several reasons. Meeting my fellow crafters and artisans is always great, I met a fellow Etsian today, that was cool. Sharing upcoming events is informative, grumbling about the current crumby market reminds me I'm not the only one. Meeting my customers face-to-face is the best. I love what I do and I love sharing it. I don't hoard my skills and knowledge, I love explaining how I created something and encouraging someone to try it. So yeah, this one is done, I'll have an early night tonight and a day of rest tomorrow, then start gearing up for the next one. Maybe I'll see you there!

9 comments:

Heather said...

Yes, think of it as expanding your image :) Glad you did well!

DECA Candle and Bath said...

Craft shows are great exposure.

Our very first one was not the best (barely got our booth fee back). The weather was quite bad that day though and it was an early winter show.

We did however pass out plenty of business cards and got a lot of sign ups for our door prize / e-mail list both of which brought in more sales.

Unknown said...

Great blog. I also have a love/hate relationship with craft shows.

woolies said...

yes...I'm not sure how I feel about craft fairs. I've never done fabulously well...I've done OK.
Why is that???

ReneeBuchananArt said...

Thanks for blogging about this! I've not had the opportunity to do a craft fair yet and I've been very hesitant for several reasons. Reading your blog has changed my mind...I'm definitely going to do one this year! Thanks again!

Lani Robertson said...

I feel the same way about craft fairs...you just NEVER know what will happen! :0

Lora said...

I'm thinking about doing a local one that i saw advertised in the paper yesterday just to get some exposure. The only problem is i don't have a tent and i tried that once and it wasn't fun. I can't decide whether to invest in a tent or not. I really should because there's always small craft fairs in my area. They're a lot of work, but fun.

Gracie Bird said...

No tent for me either. I just don't want to deal with hauling it around, setting it up, taking it down... In So. Cal. rain isn't much of an issue, knock on wood.

Anandi said...

I've basically stopped doing craft shows, because I hate sitting there and *waiting* for a sale when I could be making new stuff, or doing one of the other thousand things I always need to do.

It's why I LOVE the internet :)